Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MY ARRIVAL IN THE UNITED STATES



  

Around , April 10th of 2001, eleven months ago from now, I took my first step on the land of Los Angeles Airport in the United States. Just 12 hours had passed since I said good-bye to my lovely family and friends with tears at the International Airport in Korea. I was bushed after the long boarding hours in the airplane, and also I was afraid of the New World that was spread out in front of me. My tears on my cheeks didn’t dry up yet by that time. My son and daughter relied upon their mother, me, absolutely and they held my hands tightly. we were nervous and scared because of various kinds of people and strange scenery.  Actually, we were on pins and needles.

While the blue- eyed man was examining the immigration control about us, I was extremely nervous even though he was very kind. Also I realized how poor my ability with handling English was! That formality was done earlier than expected. Finally I could pick up my two suitcases with my sigh of relief from the baggage claim. I packed up those suitcases with some clothes, several books, two boxes of Korean tobacco for my husband, two packs of dried seaweed from my mother-in-law, some gifts from my friends as tokens of friendship and my uncertain future. When I was unsteady on my legs for a moment because of heavy bags, another brown-haired man gave me his hand. At that time, I realized Westerners’ kindness that I had only heard about until then.

When I came out from the airport, I found my husband who was staring at the exit and waiting for us. He seemed impatient for our arrival. His face was sunburned with the strong sunshine in California, so he looked strange for a while. At that time, he was staying in California for a few months before us because of his work. Anyway, we got together again and we felt relieved. While we were going to the parking lot, our hearts were definitely filled with the same feeling. That was a resolution to challenge the huge foreign country, America, just like soldiers who entered the war. Why did everything around the Los Angeles Airport looks grayish for me just at that moment? Everything seemed to lose their colors as compared with newly-built Incheon International Airport in Korea. Anyway we left the grayish airport buildings and gloomy-looking Los Angeles City for our new nest in Cerritos. At least, all of us wanted to admit at that moment that we got off on the right foot in this country. 




Now my family is getting used to American culture little by little. First of all, my children are adapted to their school and their English ability is improving. Needless to say, children are the most important things we have. My husband is working diligently for his family. I am attending Long Beach Adult School and study English hard. My English ability is poor now, but it will be much better in the future soon. Even though each of us is in difficulties now, we get over them. We have to do so and I believe it.

We all will get along comfortably and be Americans keeping the spirit of Korea. Certainly my family will be happy then. I will thank God who leads my family to America and I will love this country.

I am feeling that imaginations of future bring a ray of hope to my heart. (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment