Thursday, February 6, 2014

LOOKING BACK ON RON'S CLASS



Mr. Ron's Class


I cannot say anything about my very early days in th U.S. after immigration without Long Beach School for Adults. At that time, I was having a very hard time due to homesickness, stress from English and anxiety about the future, especially my children's trouble adapting to school. In the meantime, Long Beach School for Adults was the only consolation for me.


The Front View of Long Beach School for Adults
 
 
Learning and improving English skill, associating with many friends from diverse countries, sharing different culture with students... All those things were tremendous experiences to me. Even though Long Beach Adult School was not a regular university which I always dreamed of attending, it gave me a big pleasure and peace. While I was in there, I could keep my minds off everything that made my life hard and take a breath. What was quite remarkable was "International Gossip Club" and Web Site of it that I made with some friends. The communication with clubmembers online was exciting.

All of teachers that I've ever met in there were thoughtful, caring, kind and enthusiastic about teaching to foreigners. Mrs. Linda Whitmer, Mrs. Joyce Inch, and  Mr. Ron Fujihara used to be my teachers that I never forget the rest of my life. They were always ready with lots of help when I was in need. They encouraged me whenever I was frustrated.  Knowing that there was concerns about me gave me energy.
 
I particularly remember Mr. Ron Fujihara, the teacher when I was in his online class. He was a person like "Morrie" from "Tuesdays with Morrie" by American writer Mitch Albom. He was not only an ESL teacher but also a good life mentor. Whenever I held out my hand for help both mentally and academically, he was pleased to take it.

He was a technology expert. He had an extensive knowledge of high technology. His teaching style through Internet was interesting for me. Sometimes I stayed up all nights doing his assignment. I really enjoyed his class. As a result, I accomplished an outstanding technological achievement. Moreover, I could get my confidence back little by little and all of my family were adapting ourselves to the environmental change day by day.



The Article about Mr. Ron
in Long Beach Unified School District Newspaper


Come to think of it, I feel extremely sorry for my husband all over again. He is as hardworking and responsible for his family as ever. Nevertheless, I was eager to work on the computer: The more I missed my family and friends in Korea, the longer I used to sit in front of the computer with no talking with him. Even now I ought to apologize to him for not doing enough as his wife.

Almost 13 years have passed since I immigrated to this country. My country with my family and friends is now just a distant memory. When I am passing by Long beach Adult School, I still see many Non-American people, who want to learn American culture and language. They look busy as a beehive. That's just a scene which fear and dream and excitement etc, they all co-exist togather. That scene will be always  the same as long as American-dreamers will not disappear. (2014)

From "성 (姓 Last Name)이 바뀐 여자"




***The article below is all classmates' responses to myself in the last day of five month (2002) in Ron's class.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment